Global Citizenship + sustainability
At Sheraton Airport Hotel Dusseldorf
Starwood Hotels has a legacy of caring for the communities in which we operate, so Global Citizenship comes naturally to us. Our work focuses on the environment and our communities and leverages our people, our brands, our relationships and our global reach because we are uniquely equipped to help our associates and guests create a better world to experience.
Policies & Reporting:
- Starwood Global Citizenship Program
- Implement legal environmental requirements
- As first hotel chain, Starwood Germany has signed the codex “fairpflichtet”, a sustainability code of the German Speaking Event Industry
- Cooperation with "Carbon Disclosure Project" (CDP) to be aware of the environmental information, e.g. with CO2 calculator
30:20 by 20
The Starwood Program „30:20 by 20“ which started in 2008 sets the goal to reduce our energy consumption by 30% and our water consumption by 20% until 2020. All Starwood hotels and resorts worldwide have committed to this program.
Our hotel has a sustainability consultant, who explicitly deals with environmental initiatives at Sheraton Munich Westpark Hotel. He is supported by a green team of employees who are trained regarding sustainable measures.
Sustainable Meeting Program:
- Paperless booking and meeting planning
- „Check out for Children“: When checking out one US-Dollar can be donated to our partner UNICEF. This donation is voluntary.
- „Make a Green Choice“ - choose to decline daily change of bed linen
- „Clutter Free Meetings“ - include streamlined stations that provide paper, pens, glasses, water and other thoughtful touches, keeping the main work area uncluttered and organized
- Adequate bins for waste separation
- „EAME Sustainable Fish and Seafood Guidance“: We only purchase fish and seafood from sustainable fisheries
- Food and Beverage purchases from local and regional producers and suppliers
- Possiblity of Determination of environmental impact of a meeting or event with „Meeting Impact Report“ (MIR)
Community Initiatives of Starwood Hotels & Resorts
- Use of saving perlators
- Use of saving showers
- Garden watering on timers
- Use of LED lights
- Use of motion detectors
- Installation of fluorescent lamps with electronic control gear
- New efficient boilers
- Job tickets for public transportation
- Merging of goods to one supplier
- Purchase of seasonal food
- Waste separation in guest rooms and all public areas
- Double sided prints to reduce paper waste
- Frying oil filter
- Walkable green areas
Together with eleven companies from Dusseldorf, Sheraton Dusseldorf Airport Hotel launched the project ECOPROFIT certification in October 2010. Through eight joint workshops and various dates with expert support from the professionals in the Business Consulting Dr. Saumweber & Partner, the certification was achieved.
Environment certification of the hotel:
- Fairpflichtet certification
- ÖKOPROFIT certifikation
„Check-out for Children“ in co-operation with UNICEF
Activities for common good
- Associate trainings in different areas, amongst others Environmental Initiatives e.g. MAGC, personal development e.g. Complaint Management, Leadership, Service Culture
- Security and health protection trainings for our associates
- Promotion of young associates as company that takes on trainees
- Projects of Social Community Team
- Yearly participation at Earth Hour
- Road to awareness: Since its launch in 2008, Starwood’s Road to Awareness associates fundraising campaign has raised over $1.5 million to support different UNICEF education projects in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
- SARF (Starwood Associate Relief Fund): The Starwood Associate Relief Fund has provided nearly US$ 2 million in grant funding since inception to support associates in need around the globe when disaster strikes.